From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SHA-1 has just been broken
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 08:42:42
1 On 02/28/2017 12:05 PM, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
2
3 > On 170227-21:59-0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Miroslav Rovis
5 >> <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
6 >>> Apologies for my not being able to reply sooner!
7 >>>
8 >>> On 170227-18:18+0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>>> And via a new private big business, the Github. Giving over all users to
11 >>>>> big Github brother.
12 >>>> ???
13 >>>> Github is entirely optional and is only for those who want to use it
14 >>>> (we have both users and devs willing so), but in no way anyone
15 >>>> demands its usage.
16 >>> Yeah! Still, it would be great if git was used in distributed way, and
17 >>> not from a central private business...
18 >>>
19 >> Git can pretty-much ONLY be used in a distributed way.
20 > Correct, in that sense. But I didn't express clearly what I meant.
21 >
22 > I really meant in this sense (invented quotations in this paragraph):
23 >> Git was intended for everyone to run their own little git server and
24 >> pull from each other. Git was NOT invented for centralized commercial
25 >> social networking clouds such as github!
26 > That was from:
27 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay:Youbroketheinternet
28 >
29 >> In the sync
30 >> workflow github is basically just a mirror. A lot of our mirrors are
31 >> run by private businesses, and nobody knows what OS they're even
32 >> hosted on, let alone whether the firmware and CPU microcode are FOSS
33 >> along with their hard drive firmware.
34 > I understand that. And I support any honess business. What I hate is
35 > examples like Google, Oracle, Microsoft, IBM is a little more honest, I
36 > think... The few at the control of those ruined so much in computing and
37 > the internet.
38 >
39 > GNU and FOSS, to lesser extent OSi, are good, even beautiful, socially
40 > and philosophically.
41 >
42 >> As far as distribution goes I think github is the wrong thing to worry
43 >> about. What you want is traceable signatures from dev to user. Once
44 >> you have that you can download from an NSA mirror and there shouldn't
45 >> be any risk. All a mirror does is replicate data, and if
46 >> modifications are detectable the worst they can do is a DoS.
47 > I see.
48 >> Most of the concerns that people tend to have with github is that you
49 >> can become dependent on them for issue and pull request tracking and
50 >> then if they decide to pull the plug you lose all that data. We try
51 >> to minimize the use of these features and not make it a core part of
52 >> the dev workflow.
53 > Good practice!
54 >
55 >> But, we do use pull requests and in theory we could
56 >> lose those someday. The actual code itself gets pushed to the Gentoo
57 >> infra Repo from a developer's box using plain old git after they've
58 >> inspected/tested/etc it. So, there isn't really any way for Github to
59 >> go injecting commits into the repositories we actually use. I guess
60 >> they could do it for anybody using our github mirrors on the
61 >> distribution side, but that's only because we don't have that all
62 >> locked down and the same issue applies with any other mirror (rsync,
63 >> etc). Again, you really need end-to-end signature checking to make
64 >> any of these things truly safe.
65 > Absolutely! I did figure that out since long!
66 >> --
67 >> Rich
68 >>
69 > And what I've spent some time doing today, is figuring out about the
70 > info that I finally got from you people!
71 >
72 > About time! My rattling was all about whether there was or wasn't a way
73 > to do what is still in the title of that mail that I linked to, and gave
74 > Message-ID of, to do this:
75 >
76 > Is it safe to switch from webrsync to the git repo now?
77 >
78 > And finally Andrew Shavchenko pointed me to gkeys !
79 >
80 > Here's the answer to my query (ah, just the beginning of, my
81 > implementation of it will take time):
82 >
83 > emerge -tuDN app-crypt/gkeys app-crypt/gkeys-gen
84 >
85 > # equery f gkeys-gen
86 > ...
87 > /usr/share/doc/gkeys-gen-0.2/README.md.bz2
88 > ...
89 >
90 > (
91 > NOTE: The:
92 > /usr/share/doc/gkeys-0.2/README.md.bz2
93 > of the gkeys package is identical.
94 > )
95 >
96 > # bzcat /usr/share/doc/gkeys-gen-0.2/README.md.bz2
97 >
98 > Gentoo Keys
99 > -----------
100 >
101 > ### About
102 >
103 > Gentoo Keys is a Python based project that aims to manage the GPG keys used
104 > for validation on users and Gentoo's infrastracutre servers. Gentoo Keys will be able
105 > to verify GPG keys used for Gentoo's release media, such as installation CD's,
106 > Live DVD's, packages and other GPG signed documents. It will also be used by
107 > Gentoo infrastructure to achieve GPG signed git commits in the forthcoming git
108 > migration of the main CVS tree.
109 >
110 > ### License
111 >
112 > Gentoo Keys is under GPL-2 License
113 > #
114 >
115 > But do I read this correctly?:
116 >
117 > ...Gentoo Keys will be able
118 > to verify GPG keys used for Gentoo's release media, such as installation CD's,
119 > Live DVD's, packages and other GPG signed documents.
120 >
121 > Again, about this (syntactical) object (in the sentence), with other
122 > objects removed:
123 >
124 > ...Gentoo Keys will be able
125 > to verify GPG keys used for ...
126 > ... packages...
127 >
128 > Does that mean what I read? That with gkeys any user will be able to get
129 > packages via git, and somehow automatically gpg -verify the signature of
130 > each package that (s)he got when (s)he, say:
131 >
132 > emerge -tuDN world
133 >
134 > ?
135 >
136 > Does that mean that?
137 >
138 > And then, to achieve true verifiability in the open (machine connected
139 > to online, and doing emerge'ing), you know what is still left to be
140 > done? This:
141 >
142 > Write TLS session keys to $SSLKEYLOGFILE #11614
143 > https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/issues/11614#issuecomment-271064602
144 >
145 > ( of course, apply that to git, just the way it has been, and that's so
146 > beautiful to me, applied to wget, kudos to wget maintainer Giuseppe
147 > Scrivano! IIRC his name )
148 >
149 > There's no encryption on me, behind my back, in my machine that I can
150 > allow and believe it's fine. No way. It must be allowed by me, asked of
151 > me, and decryptable for me!
152 >
153 > ( I decided to go without dbus in my life after this happened, behind my
154 > back, with my Debian installation:
155 >
156 > How to avoid stealth installation of systemd?
157 > http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=116770&start=45#p552566
158 >
159 > PASTING, so readers get a feel about it:
160 >
161 > $ ps aux | grep ssh
162 > root 2184 0.0 0.0 54976 1004 ? Ss Sep06 0:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
163 > mr 2447 0.0 0.0 10592 32 ? Ss Sep06 0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session x-session-manager
164 > mr 15141 0.0 0.0 19980 1796 pts/9 S+ 21:48 0:00 grep ssh
165 >
166 > PASTED.
167 > )
168 >
169 > But, I already spent on this more than I can if I am not to lose track
170 > on other things that I'm now doing (related to virtualization). Will
171 > have to leave this issue very soon now, else I'll have to go over from
172 > scratch in that other work...
173 >
174 > Thanks, Rich!
175 >
176 > So, do I read those gkeys/gkeys-gen READMEs correctly?
177 >
178 > Regards!
179 >
180 It is possible to have a reasonably secure system where the hard drive
181 firmware (or any other devices) can't fuck around with the stuff on
182 disk, although I highly doubt that the gentoo infrastructure (and
183 kernel.org, and all the source repos for all the other software) does this
184
185 One way is to use a blob-free coreboot IOMMU supporting board and
186 bootstrap the crypto/kernel off of the board firmware EEPROM chip to
187 load the initial kernel thus no plaintext touches the disk and thus
188 nothing can mess with it.
189
190 The IOMMU (theoretically) protects the CPU and memory from rogue
191 devices, such as the hard drive.
192
193 In terms of ethics IBM *for now* is a way better company than Intel/AMD,
194 their POWER servers are owner controlled as there isn't any boot
195 guard/secure boot/management engine/platform "security" processor (amd's
196 ME) to stop you from re-writing the firmware as you please. They also
197 have an getting-there-almost-reasonable open source effort (OpenPOWER)
198
199 You can buy a TYAN OpenPOWER8 "Palmetto" (100% FOSS out of the box,
200 although not that powerful) or an IBM POWER8 S822 "Firestone" (very
201 powerful) which needs only a small amount of final work to be open sourced.
202
203 IBM's POWER8 has a supervisor processor, although it is owner controlled
204 (the key difference) unlike ME/PSP.
205
206 It is a shame that TALOS (POWER workstation board) never went anywhere,
207 it seems the linux community won't care about real freedom - right up
208 until microsoft finally locks us out for good and it is too late to do
209 anything about it.
210
211 https://www.coreboot.org/Board_freedom_levels