From: Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SHA-1 has just been broken
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 20:06:24
1 On 170302-03:42-0500, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > On 02/28/2017 12:05 PM, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
3 >
4 > > On 170227-21:59-0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Miroslav Rovis
6 > >> <miro.rovis@××××××××××××××.hr> wrote:
7 ...
8 > > And finally Andrew Shavchenko pointed me to gkeys !
9 > >
10 > > Here's the answer to my query (ah, just the beginning of, my
11 > > implementation of it will take time):
12 > >
13 > > emerge -tuDN app-crypt/gkeys app-crypt/gkeys-gen
14 > >
15 > > # equery f gkeys-gen
16 > > ...
17 > > /usr/share/doc/gkeys-gen-0.2/README.md.bz2
18 > > ...
19 > >
20 > > (
21 > > NOTE: The:
22 > > /usr/share/doc/gkeys-0.2/README.md.bz2
23 > > of the gkeys package is identical.
24 > > )
25 > >
26 > > # bzcat /usr/share/doc/gkeys-gen-0.2/README.md.bz2
27 > >
28 > > Gentoo Keys
29 > > -----------
30 > >
31 > > ### About
32 > >
33 > > Gentoo Keys is a Python based project that aims to manage the GPG keys used
34 > > for validation on users and Gentoo's infrastracutre servers. Gentoo Keys will be able
35 > > to verify GPG keys used for Gentoo's release media, such as installation CD's,
36 > > Live DVD's, packages and other GPG signed documents. It will also be used by
37 > > Gentoo infrastructure to achieve GPG signed git commits in the forthcoming git
38 > > migration of the main CVS tree.
39 > >
40 > > ### License
41 > >
42 > > Gentoo Keys is under GPL-2 License
43 > > #
44 > >
45 > > But do I read this correctly?:
46 > >
47 > > ...Gentoo Keys will be able
48 > > to verify GPG keys used for Gentoo's release media, such as installation CD's,
49 > > Live DVD's, packages and other GPG signed documents.
50 > >
51 > > Again, about this (syntactical) object (in the sentence), with other
52 > > objects removed:
53 > >
54 > > ...Gentoo Keys will be able
55 > > to verify GPG keys used for ...
56 > > ... packages...
57 > >
58 > > Does that mean what I read? That with gkeys any user will be able to get
59 > > packages via git, and somehow automatically gpg -verify the signature of
60 > > each package that (s)he got when (s)he, say:
61 > >
62 > > emerge -tuDN world
63 > >
64 > > ?
65 > >
66 > > Does that mean that?
67 > >
68 ...
69 > It is possible to have a reasonably secure system where the hard drive
70 > firmware (or any other devices) can't fuck around with the stuff on
71 > disk, although I highly doubt that the gentoo infrastructure (and
72 > kernel.org, and all the source repos for all the other software) does this
73 Rogue elements everywhere (even the most known Person in the world,
74 throughout the history (which counts from His birth), had His traitors),
75 but you are correct, it is still little likely.
76
77 I'll keep you thought below for reference, when I some day, find more
78 time to learn about these things:
79 > One way is to use a blob-free coreboot IOMMU supporting board and
80 > bootstrap the crypto/kernel off of the board firmware EEPROM chip to
81 > load the initial kernel thus no plaintext touches the disk and thus
82 > nothing can mess with it.
83 >
84 > The IOMMU (theoretically) protects the CPU and memory from rogue
85 > devices, such as the hard drive.
86 >
87 > In terms of ethics IBM *for now* is a way better company than Intel/AMD,
88 > their POWER servers are owner controlled as there isn't any boot
89 > guard/secure boot/management engine/platform "security" processor (amd's
90 > ME) to stop you from re-writing the firmware as you please. They also
91 > have an getting-there-almost-reasonable open source effort (OpenPOWER)
92 >
93 > You can buy a TYAN OpenPOWER8 "Palmetto" (100% FOSS out of the box,
94 > although not that powerful) or an IBM POWER8 S822 "Firestone" (very
95 > powerful) which needs only a small amount of final work to be open sourced.
96 >
97 > IBM's POWER8 has a supervisor processor, although it is owner controlled
98 > (the key difference) unlike ME/PSP.
99 >
100 > It is a shame that TALOS (POWER workstation board) never went anywhere,
101 > it seems the linux community won't care about real freedom - right up
102 > until microsoft finally locks us out for good and it is too late to do
103 > anything about it.
104 >
105 > https://www.coreboot.org/Board_freedom_levels
106
107 Yes, I looked up that page, and searched a little about Power8
108 pocessors... I wish I was aware how important Board freedom is back four
109 and a half years ago. Not so ugly what I have, but neither is open hardware
110 (
111 Asrock
112 Extreme4, a few of them (so I can clone the systems):
113 Use old amd64 gentoo image on new amd64 hardware, possible?
114 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-940916.html#7172822
115
116 I can't believe they're still selling them! If I'm not mistaken:
117 http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme4/
118 I have to say, they are really not bad, but are not openhardware either.
119 )
120
121 I can't follow all the info that you gave, it's too advanced for me (at
122 least at this time).
123
124 And I couldn't reply sooner... I had to finish, finally successfully,
125 some steep learning of mine about how to use virtualization.
126
127 Voilà:
128
129 Devuan's precursor's, as Tails, image in Qemu (10)
130 https://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-161015-qemu-devuan/qemu-devuan-10.php
131
132 Finally using Tails from my grsecurity-hardened Gentoo, in a
133 VirtualMachine! Finally I can do it! Took me months!
134
135 (
136 [[ might be of interest to grsecurity-hardeners ]]
137 Ah, what you can't find there (simply because I forgot to give the link
138 to is), is this:
139
140 Libvirt virtualization policies
141 https://forums.grsecurity.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4675
142 )
143
144 The most important/urgent among really great messages that I got in this
145 thread, is Shavchenko's message about the gkeys !
146
147 And I'm still wondering:
148
149 Does anybody have a way to, as I wrote, be pulling packages via git, when
150 doing building/installing with emerge, and be verifying each package as
151 (s)he is pulling them automatically, with gkeys ?
152
153 That _must_ be waiting for us in the future of Gentoo ;-)
154
155 gkeys <------ !!! That looks like the solution that I have dreamed about!
156
157 Regards!