From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bash completion annoyance: escapes directory variables.
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:27:13
1 On 17 Jan 2009, at 13:23, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Now, I am unsure whether this is a feature, but:
4 > when I tab-complete 'cd ' followed an environment variable, bash
5 > insists on escaping this variable.
6 >
7 > ex: cd $<TAB> -> cd \$
8 > Which means I end up typing for example
9 > # cd \$DOC
10 > and this is not resolved right.
11 >
12 > If the variable path is not preceded by 'cd ' , bash completes it OK,
13 > without escaping them.
14
15 A system here does the same thing, another across town behaves
16 "correctly".
17
18 (I don't actually have $DOC set on either, but `cd /` and then use
19 autocomplete to `cd $HOME`, which is set.)
20
21 I don't know much about this, but I wonder if it may be related to
22 some of Gentoo's 3rd-party Bash-completion features?
25 WORKING SYSTEM:
26
27 $ eselect bashcomp list
28 Available completions:
29 [1] eselect
30 [2] genlop *
31 [3] vim
32 [4] xxd
33 $
36 NON-WORKING SYSTEM:
37
38 $ eselect bashcomp list
39 Available completions:
40 [1] bash-completion-config
41 [2] bitkeeper
42 [3] bittorrent
43 [4] cksfv
44 [5] clisp
45 [6] dsniff
46 [7] freeciv
47 [8] gcl
48 [9] gentoo *
49 [10] gkrellm
50 [11] gnatmake
51 [12] harbour
52 [13] hg
53 [14] isql
54 [15] larch
55 [16] lilypond
56 [17] lisp
57 [18] mailman
58 [19] mcrypt
59 [20] modules
60 [21] mtx
61 [22] p4
62 [23] povray
63 [24] ri
64 [25] sbcl
65 [26] sitecopy
66 [27] snownews
67 [28] svk
68 [29] unace *
69 [30] unrar *
70 $
73 You might also check bash-completion USE flags.
74
75 Stroller.