From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.provided
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:18:50
1 On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 15:11:09 +0200
2 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > A much better way would be to modify the ebuild to do what you want,
6 > then copy it to a local overlay. Portage will use your overlay in
7 > preference to the portage tree. You just have to then watch out for
8 > newer versions to hit the tree which will supercede your custom
9 > ebuild, and modify those new versions similarly.
10
11 Yes, may be it's time for me to learn how to write an ebuild. My
12 problem is that it seems to me too much work just to maintain a
13 few occasional packages locally. ;-)
16 > There's an environment variable EXTRA_ECONF intended for *users* to
17 > add extra configure options when emerging, but I have heard bad
18 > things about using this. Don't know the details, perhaps someone else
19 > who does will post in response.
22 Yes, I'm aware of EXTRA_ECONF and I use it via /etc/portage/bashrc.
23 ( explained w/ example by Mr. Bo Andresen: http://tinyurl.com/39c74x )
24 It never caused problems here.
25
26 I want to change the "./configure --params" for sure but perhaps I'd
27 need to alter several source files. I'm not sure if /etc/portage/bashrc
28 could do the work in the latter case but it's an idea that never
29 occurred to me before and I'm going to explore.
33 > Finally, you could just mask out mplayer entirely and build it from
34 > source using the default DESTDIR of /usr/local. It's not a complete
35 > unistall solution, but at least it doesn't collide with portage's
36 > installs in /usr/
39 Why mask?
40
41 If I install it manually there would be no need for "emerge mplayer"
42 at all, right? ;-)
43 (additionally "/usr/local/(s)bin" precedes "/usr/(s)bin" in $PATH by
44 default)
45
46 Anyways, this is not an option for me because I hate cleaning forgotten
47 files or keeping the src for eventual "make uninstall".
48 I'd prefer compiling the program with PREFIX="$HOME/program_name".
49
50 So, for the time being I'll try to solve the problem via
51 "/etc/portage/bashrc", while waiting for more possible advices.
55 Best regards,
56 Daniel
57 --
58 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list