From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.provided
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 13:16:33
1 On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I want to compile mplayer in a way not supported by the ebuild and
5 > use portage only to keep record of the files installed in system for
6 > future uninstallation.
7
8 A much better way would be to modify the ebuild to do what you want,
9 then copy it to a local overlay. Portage will use your overlay in
10 preference to the portage tree. You just have to then watch out for
11 newer versions to hit the tree which will supercede your custom ebuild,
12 and modify those new versions similarly.
13
14 There's an environment variable EXTRA_ECONF intended for *users* to add
15 extra configure options when emerging, but I have heard bad things
16 about using this. Don't know the details, perhaps someone else who does
17 will post in response.
18
19 Finally, you could just mask out mplayer entirely and build it from
20 source using the default DESTDIR of /usr/local. It's not a complete
21 unistall solution, but at least it doesn't collide with portage's
22 installs in /usr/
23
24 man 5 ebuild has lots of info on this topic
25
26 alan
31 > The system amd64 stable.
32 >
33 > I have done the following:
34 >
35 > (1) echo media-video/mplayer >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
36 >
37 > // "emerge -p mplayer" now gives:
38 > media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2 //
39 >
40 > (2) echo media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2
41 >
42 > >> /etc/portage/package.provided
43 >
44 > (3) ebuild `equery w mplayer` unpack
45 >
46 > (4) cd $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage/media-video/mplayer-*/work/mplayer*
47 > (5) ./configure --the-way-I-want-it-to-be
48 > (6)make
49 > (7) cd ../../
50 > (8) touch .compiled
51 > (9) ebuild `equery w mplayer` merge
54 > Everything seems to be OK until I try "emerge -DuNav world". After
55 > this point portage wants to rebuild mplayer, showing all USE flags
56 > as newly added (e.g. "alsa%"). I expected putting mplayer
57 > into /etc/portage/package.keywords to make portage ignore this
58 > package.
59 >
60 > Where is my mistake and what is the correct method I should follow?
61 >
62 > --
63 > Best regards,
64 > Daniel