From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crontab questions
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:10:55
1 > > Is there a way to remove "Cron <root@hostname>" from the subject line of
2 > > crontab mail without piping each cron job to 'mail'?
3 > >
4 > > I set 'usermod -c hostname root' on each of my systems so that the From:
5 > > line displays "hostname" for crontab mail. This works on each system
6 > > except the mail server itself which still shows "Cron Daemon". Can
7 > > crontab mail from the mail server be made to display From: "hostname"
8 > > like the other systems?
9 > >
10 > > I'm not completely clear on how cronbase works. Can this crontab be
11 > > integrated into the system crontab via cronbase or should it be run as a
12 > > separate user crontab for root?
13 > >
14 > > 0 4 * * * layman -NS && eix-sync -n && eix-remote update -n
15 > > 15 4 * * * emerge -pvDuN world
16 > > 20 4 * * * eclean -C distfiles
17 > > 30 4 * * * eclean -C packages
18 > > 40 4 * * * eix-test-obsolete
19 > > 45 4 * * * revdep-rebuild -ip
22 > If your goal is to run these each one after the other, you can simply
23 > stick a shell script in /etc/cron.daily that executes them in order.
24 >
25 > The default crontab runs any executable files in,
26 >
27 > * /etc/cron.daily
28 > * /etc/cron.hourly
29 > * /etc/cron.monthly
30 > * /etc/cron.weekly
31 >
32 > at roughly the time specified in /etc/crontab. If any of those
33 > directories contain scripts, they're run in "alphabetical" order, i.e.
34 > how `ls` would sort them.
35
36 Thanks Michael. I'd like to have more control over when the commands are
37 run. Maybe the system crontab (cronbase) should be used when that control
38 isn't necessary or to allow programs to add stuff to a crontab, and a user
39 crontab should be used when more control is necessary?
40
41 > To fix the Subject/From headers, try,
42 >
43 > http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html
44 >
45 > I've never had to use them myself, but I think the REPLACE action will
46 > do what you want. The alternative is to replace the sendmail binary with
47 > something that executes e.g.,
48 >
49 > sed -e 's/Subject: Cron <[^>]> /Subject: /g' | /the/actual/sendmail
50 >
51 > Both feel a little dirty, but the header checks are less likely to break
52 > something assuming that they will work on a client-provided From header.
53
54 I think it's better for me to pipe the commands to mailx. I get mail if I
55 run this on the command line
56
57 emerge -pvDuN world | /usr/bin/mail -s "subject" -a "From: from"
58 my@×××××.com
59
60 But I don't get any mail when it runs in the crontab. Do you know why
61 that's happening? I do get mail from 'emerge -pvDuN world' run in the
62 crontab without piping it to mail.
63
64 - Grant