From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] crontab questions
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 03:16:06
1 On 12/11/2012 04:15 PM, Grant wrote:
2 > Is there a way to remove "Cron <root@hostname>" from the subject line of
3 > crontab mail without piping each cron job to 'mail'?
4 >
5 > I set 'usermod -c hostname root' on each of my systems so that the From:
6 > line displays "hostname" for crontab mail. This works on each system
7 > except the mail server itself which still shows "Cron Daemon". Can
8 > crontab mail from the mail server be made to display From: "hostname"
9 > like the other systems?
10 >
11 > I'm not completely clear on how cronbase works. Can this crontab be
12 > integrated into the system crontab via cronbase or should it be run as a
13 > separate user crontab for root?
14 >
15 > 0 4 * * * layman -NS && eix-sync -n && eix-remote update -n
16 > 15 4 * * * emerge -pvDuN world
17 > 20 4 * * * eclean -C distfiles
18 > 30 4 * * * eclean -C packages
19 > 40 4 * * * eix-test-obsolete
20 > 45 4 * * * revdep-rebuild -ip
23 If your goal is to run these each one after the other, you can simply
24 stick a shell script in /etc/cron.daily that executes them in order.
25
26 The default crontab runs any executable files in,
27
28 * /etc/cron.daily
29 * /etc/cron.hourly
30 * /etc/cron.monthly
31 * /etc/cron.weekly
32
33 at roughly the time specified in /etc/crontab. If any of those
34 directories contain scripts, they're run in "alphabetical" order, i.e.
35 how `ls` would sort them.
36
37 To fix the Subject/From headers, try,
38
39 http://www.postfix.org/header_checks.5.html
40
41 I've never had to use them myself, but I think the REPLACE action will
42 do what you want. The alternative is to replace the sendmail binary with
43 something that executes e.g.,
44
45 sed -e 's/Subject: Cron <[^>]> /Subject: /g' | /the/actual/sendmail
46
47 Both feel a little dirty, but the header checks are less likely to break
48 something assuming that they will work on a client-provided From header.