From: mindrunner <kernel@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome3 haters: you should try the new cinnamon-1.6.1
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 19:41:45
1 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
2 Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
3
4 i7-820QM
5
6 8GB-DDR3
10 On 10/15/2012 02:23 PM, walt wrote:
11 > On 10/15/2012 12:24 AM, mindrunner wrote:
12 >
13 >> Ive had soo many problem with gnome 3 (mainly performance), so i
14 >> switched to lxde.
15 >
16 > The performance penalty can be due to old video hardware because
17 > both gnome-shell and cinnamon use video compositing for silly and
18 > unnecessary stuff like transparent windows.
19 >
20 > In fact, I blame all the new problems with both gnome3 and kde4
21 > on video compositing. All the whiz-bang kids doing desktop
22 > development are determined to use compositing anywhere they can
23 > possibly use it, even if it's silly. Just my grouchy old opinion,
24 > of course.