From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome3 haters: you should try the new cinnamon-1.6.1
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:25:09
1 On 10/15/2012 12:24 AM, mindrunner wrote:
2
3 > Ive had soo many problem with gnome 3 (mainly performance), so i
4 > switched to lxde.
5
6 The performance penalty can be due to old video hardware because
7 both gnome-shell and cinnamon use video compositing for silly and
8 unnecessary stuff like transparent windows.
9
10 In fact, I blame all the new problems with both gnome3 and kde4
11 on video compositing. All the whiz-bang kids doing desktop
12 development are determined to use compositing anywhere they can
13 possibly use it, even if it's silly. Just my grouchy old opinion,
14 of course.