From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy (when Amarok 2 is running)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 09:52:50
1 On Mittwoch 06 Mai 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann writes:
3 > > On Dienstag 05 Mai 2009, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > > I cannot access /dev/dsp once Amarok 2 has started playback, even if
5 > > > the playback was stopped. I have to close Amarok, then /dev/dsp is
6 > > > accessible again. Does anyone know why this is?
7 >
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > > no problem here. So.. maybe you forgot something. dmix should do
11 > > everything for you. Are you using the xine backend for amarok/phonon?
12 >
13 > Thanks for the info, Armin. So I know it _should_ work.
14 >
15 > I'm using the xine backend. I forgot about this settings until you
16 > mentioned phonon, that let me find it again in the system settings.
17 >
18 > I tried changing it to gstreamer. After I did so, even amarok was unable to
19 > play any sound, and switching back to xine did not help either. I had to
20 > log out and in again. From then on, when starting quake3-bin, the display
21 > freezed, and I had to kill X. There was no sound. Amarok was not started
22 > yet. I also experienced a couple of X crashes after starting quake3 [*] and
23 > got back to the kdm screen. Then I had to do some work and did not play
24 > more with the settings. Now I'm also busy, I will play a little with it in
25 > the evening.
26 >
27 > [*] quake3 is the open source variant, it works well with ALSA, but does
28 > not work with punkbuster anti-cheating software, so I need the quake3-bin
29 > version running.
30 >
31 > Wonko
32
33 you could also check the xine settings - start xine, got to the audio settings
34 and check them.