From: Dorin Scutarasu <dorin.scutarasu@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Uninstalling KDE packages
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:46:51
1 On Monday 29 January 2007 22:46:56 Vlad Dogaru wrote:
2 > I would like to know if unmerging KWallet (also the eduitainment suite
3 > and possibly even Kopette and Konqueror) is safe. How can I tell for
4 > other packages? Is emerge --unmerge enough or do other measures have
5 > to be taken?
6
7 If you have installed monolithic KDE than you can't unmerge only KWallet. You
8 would have to unmerge kdeutils which also contains programs you might need.
11 If you're using the KDE split ebuilds you can use 'equery d <package-name>'
12 (app-portage/gentoolkit) to see what installed packages depend on
13 <package-name>. For example, Konqueror is needed by Kdesktop and Amarok
14 among other things, so you probably don't want to unmerge it if you need
15 either of them.
16
17 Simply unmerging a package that is needed by some other package is not
18 sufficient as it would be pulled back in when you next run 'emerge -D world'.
19
20 KWallet only depends on kdeutils-meta. If you want to get rid of it unmerge
21 kdeutils-meta and add the packages pulled in by kdeutils-meta to the world
22 file (/var/lib/portage/world). You can find the names of these packages in the
23 kdeutils-meta ebuild:
24
25 RDEPEND="
26 $(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/ark)
27 $(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kcalc)
28 $(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kcharselect)
29 lirc? ( $(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kdelirc) )
30 [...]
31
32 So you would add lines such as these:
33 kde-base/ark
34 kde-base/kcalc
35 ... in the world file for each package you need and unmerge the ones you don't
36 need. Be carefull with those useflag conditioned dependencies as in the case
37 of kde-base/kdelirc which only gets installed if lirc useflag is activated.
40 > Also, in the case of a fresh install, how can I choose
41 > what KDE installs? Do I have to run emerge kde, or would kdelibs,
42 > kdebase, etc (along with their dependencies of course) suffice?
43
44 Take a look at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-config.xml#doc_chap2_sect3 .
47 The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who
48 think.(Horace Walpole)
49 *
50 Dorin Scutarasu,
51 www.info.UAIC.ro