From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 18:32:40
1 180203 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 03/02/18 08:43, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> Having so many words derived via French from Latin, English is also a
4 >> romance language to some extent. I know it's officially classed as a
5 >> Germanic language, but I can't see why. There seems to be no Teutonic
6 >> influence to speak of. Few words in common, very different sentence
7 >> structure, ...
8 > Modern English is an evolved mess of Norman French and Anglo-Saxon, and
9 > seeing as the Normans (Norse-Men) were really Vikings not Franks ...
10
11 For the history of English, I recommend Otto Jespersen
12 'Growth & Structure of the English Language' ;
13 the 1st edition was 1905 & I believe it's still in print
14 (I have the 9th edition from 1938, printed in Germany by Teubner).
15 Among many other matters, he mentions that 'that' was
16 the original relative pronoun, while 'which' came only later.
20 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
21 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
22 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca