From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] A little help for non-native English speakers
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2018 17:24:15
1 On 03/02/18 08:43, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Having so many words derived via French from Latin, English is also a
3 > romance language to some extent. I know it's officially classed as a
4 > Germanic language, but I can't see why. There seems to be no Teutonic
5 > influence to speak of. Few words in common, very different sentence
6 > structure, ...
7
8 Cow, Sheep, ... I think there are a lot of words in common.
9
10 Not that I have any personal experience, but I've come across several
11 reports that British soldiers stationed in West Germany after the war
12 had no difficulty talking with Germans who spoke Platt-Deutsch (or
13 however that is spelt).
14
15 Modern English is an evolved mess of Norman French and Anglo-Saxon, and
16 seeing as the Normans (Norse-Men) were really Vikings not Franks ...
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol