From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fwd:How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:39:58
1 On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:59:59 +0200 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 20/02/2014 22:41, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:52:07PM +0400, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> And this point is one of the highest security benefits in real world:
6 > >> one have non-standard binaries, not available in the wild. Most
7 > >> exploits will fail on such binaries even if vulnerability is still
8 > >> there.
9 > >
10 > > While excluding few security issues by compiling less code is possible,
11 > > believing that "non-standard binaries" (in the sense of "compiled for
12 > > with local compilation flags") gives more security is a dangerous dream.
16 > +1
17 >
18 > "non-standard binaries" is really just a special form of security by
19 > obscurity. Or alternatively a special form of "no-one will eva figure
20 > out my l33t skillz! Mwahahaha!"
21
22 Exactly. This is security trough obscurity. I never claimed this is
23 an ultimate or a sufficient way to protect a system. But this is just
24 a single of many multiple layers which can be used to provide
25 acceptable security level.
26
27 > Which is a very poor stance to take.
28 >
29 > The total amount of code not compiled by setting some USE flags off is
30 > on the whole not likely to be very much, and hoping with finger crossed
31 > that the next weakness in a package will just happen to fall within a
32 > code path that got left out by USE flags is a fools dream.
33
34 You mare compare binary sizes for e.g. openldap (and all its
35 libraries) with minimal and full (USE="-minimal *") setup. Quite
36 impressive, not to count all external so libraries involved.
37
38 > I'm glad you mentioned this Andrew, because the internets are full of
39 > stupid advice like this "non-standard binary" nonsense.
40
41 Are you considering Bruce Schneier's advice as a stupid nonsense? In
42 his "Applied cryptography" he recommended one of the ways to
43 straighten a system: to use not so frequently used algorithms instead
44 of selected standards because less frequently used algorithms has no
45 better math but are less targeted, have less specialized hardware
46 built to crack them and so on.
47
48 > Yes, the
49 > arguments at face value are difficult to refute with hard facts, but
50 > those that do not known it is stupid are easily led into a sense of
51 > false security, doesn't matter how many disclaimers are tagged on the end.
52 >
53 > I reckon it's the duty of all knowledgeable sysadmins to stamp out this
54 > crap HARD every time it raises it's head. To the user who brought it up
55 > - this might seem overly harsh but I've yet to find a better method that
56 > actually works and gets through to people.
57
58 I never talked about a sense of security just because system has
59 non-standard binaries. I talked about high variance which brings a
60 _bit_ more security. And I'm talking not from some theorizing, but
61 from practical experience on both ends (data protection and
62 legitimate system forensics).
63
64 Have you ever considered how systems became broken in the wild? The
65 most common way (in numbers of hosts, not significance) are automated
66 robots and botnets. They just scan the net, try to bruteforce any
67 login service they found and try to apply any exploit appropriate
68 from their database. If one have a widely used and improperly
69 configured (or not timely updated) setup, it will be hacked this way.
70
71 The key point of any attack is *cost*, is *money* one needs to spend
72 for an attack. Automated attacks are cheap and such _simple
73 and cheap_ measures as obscured binaries and non-standard (e.g. ssh)
74 ports will stop most of these attacks. This way it will cost _more_
75 for the attacker to break into protected system and with raise of an
76 attack cost system protection level also rises.
77
78 Of course, obfuscation is _not_ sufficient for system protection.
79 This is just one small step forward. I don't want to discuss full
80 scope of server protection issues, because this is far out of the
81 topic of this discussion and because measures needed are task-
82 dependent.
83
84 However I want to notice one critical security issue quite common for
85 production servers: an old software. It doesn't matter how many
86 protection layers system have, how skilled person configured it was.
87 When software is old it is quite trivial to look up for CVEs and
88 break the system. Quite practical encounter from my own experience: I
89 was asked to legitimately obtain root on the box (admin forgot
90 password, reboot (with init=/bin/bash) was not an option and root
91 access was needed for reconfiguration); a box was a year old RHEL
92 with SELinux enforced. Third kernel exploit worked perfectly (I just
93 found them on the net, not bothered to code myself). Such trivia with
94 Gentoo and its custom binaries is not possible. And Gentoo is quite
95 good with recent software updates (RH sometimes is too slow with
96 critical kernel/libc issues).
97
98 Old software is evil. It doesn't matter how good and tested it _was_.
99 Variety and diversity are quite important for real word systems
100 protection.
101
102 Of course, it is possible to break _any_ box on the Earth, the
103 only question is how high the cost will be. My point is that Gentoo
104 provides native techniques to raise the attack cost. That's all.
105
106 Best regards,
107 Andrew Savchenko