From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's happened to gentoo-sources?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:58:25
1 On 01/09/2016 22:08, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:47:22 +0100
3 > schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
4 >
5 >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:34:55 +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Surprise surprise, 4.7 has this (still not fully fixed) oom-killer
8 >>> bug. When I'm running virtual machines, it still kicks in. I wanted
9 >>> to stay on 4.6.x until 4.8 is released, and only then switch to
10 >>> 4.7. Now I was forced early (I'm using btrfs), and was instantly
11 >>> punished by doing so:
12 >>
13 >> No one forced you to do anything. You 4.6 kernel was still in boot,
14 >> your 4.6 sources were still installed. The ebuild was only removed
15 >> fro the portage tree, nothing was uninstalled from your system unless
16 >> you did it. Even the ebuild was still on your computer in /var/db/pkg.
17 >
18 > Of course nobody forced me. I just can't follow how the 4.7 ebuild
19 > kind-of replaced the 4.6 (and others) ebuild in face of this pretty
20 > mature oom-killer problem.
21 >
22 > Removal of a 4.6 series ebuild also means there would follow no updates
23 > - so my next upgrade would "force" me into deciding going way down
24 > (probably a bad idea) or up into unknown territory (and this showed:
25 > can also be a problem). Or I can stay with 4.6 until depclean removed
26 > it for good (which will, by the way, remove the files from /usr/src).
27 >
28 > I think masking had been a much more fair option, especially because
29 > portage has means of displaying me the reasoning behind masking it.
30 >
31 > In the end, I simply was really unprepared for this - and this is
32 > usually not how Gentoo works and always worked for me. I'm used to
33 > Gentoo doing better.
34 >
35 > Even if the 4.6 series were keyworded - in case of kernel packages they
36 > should not be removed without masking first. I think a lot of people
37 > like to stay - at least temporary - close to kernel mainline because
38 > they want to use the one or other feature.
39 >
40 > And then my workflow is always like this: If an ebuild is removed, it's
41 > time to also remove it from my installation and replace it with another
42 > version or an alternative. I usually do this during the masking phase.
45 Was the ebuild removed from arch or ~arch?
46
47 If arch, then you have a point.
48 If ~arch, then you don't have a point. Gentoo has pretty much always
49 expected you to deal with $WHATEVER_HAPPENS on ~arch. There has never
50 been a guarantee (not even a loose one) that anything will ever stick
51 around in ~arch.
52
53 Alan