From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What's happened to gentoo-sources?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 20:08:51
1 Am Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:47:22 +0100
2 schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 08:34:55 +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
5 >
6 > > Surprise surprise, 4.7 has this (still not fully fixed) oom-killer
7 > > bug. When I'm running virtual machines, it still kicks in. I wanted
8 > > to stay on 4.6.x until 4.8 is released, and only then switch to
9 > > 4.7. Now I was forced early (I'm using btrfs), and was instantly
10 > > punished by doing so:
11 >
12 > No one forced you to do anything. You 4.6 kernel was still in boot,
13 > your 4.6 sources were still installed. The ebuild was only removed
14 > fro the portage tree, nothing was uninstalled from your system unless
15 > you did it. Even the ebuild was still on your computer in /var/db/pkg.
16
17 Of course nobody forced me. I just can't follow how the 4.7 ebuild
18 kind-of replaced the 4.6 (and others) ebuild in face of this pretty
19 mature oom-killer problem.
20
21 Removal of a 4.6 series ebuild also means there would follow no updates
22 - so my next upgrade would "force" me into deciding going way down
23 (probably a bad idea) or up into unknown territory (and this showed:
24 can also be a problem). Or I can stay with 4.6 until depclean removed
25 it for good (which will, by the way, remove the files from /usr/src).
26
27 I think masking had been a much more fair option, especially because
28 portage has means of displaying me the reasoning behind masking it.
29
30 In the end, I simply was really unprepared for this - and this is
31 usually not how Gentoo works and always worked for me. I'm used to
32 Gentoo doing better.
33
34 Even if the 4.6 series were keyworded - in case of kernel packages they
35 should not be removed without masking first. I think a lot of people
36 like to stay - at least temporary - close to kernel mainline because
37 they want to use the one or other feature.
38
39 And then my workflow is always like this: If an ebuild is removed, it's
40 time to also remove it from my installation and replace it with another
41 version or an alternative. I usually do this during the masking phase.
44 Regards,
45 Kai
46
47 Replies to list-only preferred.