From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What's happened to gentoo-sources?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 21:56:45
1 On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:08:19 +0200, Kai Krakow wrote:
2
3 > > No one forced you to do anything. You 4.6 kernel was still in boot,
4 > > your 4.6 sources were still installed. The ebuild was only removed
5 > > fro the portage tree, nothing was uninstalled from your system unless
6 > > you did it. Even the ebuild was still on your computer
7 > > in /var/db/pkg.
8 >
9 > Of course nobody forced me. I just can't follow how the 4.7 ebuild
10 > kind-of replaced the 4.6 (and others) ebuild in face of this pretty
11 > mature oom-killer problem.
12 >
13 > Removal of a 4.6 series ebuild also means there would follow no updates
14
15 Are there any updates to the 4.6 series or was is 4.7 considered its
16 successor by the kernels devs? If the former, I can understand your
17 point. If the latter, there would be no updates so there is no point.
18
19 > - so my next upgrade would "force" me into deciding going way down
20 > (probably a bad idea) or up into unknown territory (and this showed:
21 > can also be a problem). Or I can stay with 4.6 until depclean removed
22 > it for good (which will, by the way, remove the files from /usr/src).
23
24 Depclean won't remove it if you add it to world. Or you can add this
25 to /etc/portage/sets.conf to prevent depclean removing any kernels
26
27 [kernels]
28 class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
29 world-candidate = False
30 files = /usr/src
31
32 Running old or out of date kernels is not an issue with Gentoo. I had a
33 machine running the same kernel for at least a year, long after it was
34 removed from the tree, because I had some hardware for which the driver
35 wouldn't compile with newer kernels.
39 Neil Bothwick
40
41 [unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]