From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What's happened to gentoo-sources?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 00:33:45
1 Am Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:56:31 +0100
2 schrieb Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
3
4 > > - so my next upgrade would "force" me into deciding going way down
5 > > (probably a bad idea) or up into unknown territory (and this showed:
6 > > can also be a problem). Or I can stay with 4.6 until depclean
7 > > removed it for good (which will, by the way, remove the files
8 > > from /usr/src).
9 >
10 > Depclean won't remove it if you add it to world.
11
12 Multi-slot packages ARE removed by depclean except the last stable
13 version - which jumped backwards for me because I used an ~arch kernel
14 that was removed from portage.
15
16 The following happened:
17
18 # emerge -DNua world
19
20 Reinstalled 4.4 for me. Problem here: I didn't exactly distinguish that
21 4.4.something is not 4.6.something in the result list. So I continued
22 with:
23
24 # emerge --depclean -a
25 # cd /usr/src/linux && make oldconfig && ... the usual stuff
26
27 Wow, that went fast. Then, I realized why: I just depcleaned my 4.6 and
28 4.4 compile objects were still there, I tried to reinstall 4.6,
29 it failed - of course: The package is no longer in portage.
30
31 I thought: Okay, there's probably a reason, let's get to 4.7.2 then -
32 what should possibly go wrong? It's not 4.7.0 and I still have 4.6
33 in /boot. Yeah, what should go wrong... I shouldn't have asked. TL;DR:
34 I restored from backup.
35
36 This must be coincidence. I wanted to go to stable kernel at next
37 opportunity. But forward in version, not backward. ;-)
38
39 But let's get back to the point:
40
41 Depclean does remove multi-slotted kernel sources. It does it with
42 every multislot package except there's an explicit slot dependency or
43 you explicitly mention the slot in the world file.
44
45 Since I cannot remember such a surprise-removal* happened anytime
46 before and put me in such a situation, this was completely new to me.
47 (10+ years of Gentoo usage)
48
49 Lesson learned: Keep your eyes open. Maybe I put the kernel slot
50 into my world file, with the opposite downside this has. (note to
51 myself)
54 *: This is subjective, I know.
57 Regards,
58 Kai