From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] snapper (btrfs)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 21:11:49
1 On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:37:52 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I use snapper from portage. Snapper itself works just fine. I've
4 > found that trying to integrate it into portage (before/after snapshots
5 > on every emerge) is just way too much overhead (it goes fast, but you
6 > end up with a bazillion snapshots). Also, I've had deadlock problems
7 > with deleting multiple snapshots at once, which is certainly a kernel
8 > problem. So, right now I'm using snapper to manage snapshots but I do
9 > not use time/event-based snapshots at all - I just create them when
10 > needed and clean them up manually, and carefully.
11
12 I use a home-brewed script to make time based snapshots, called from
13 cron - a little like zfs-auto-snapshot. I set a limit on the number of
14 each type of snapshot so the script generally creates one snapshot and
15 deletes one snapshot for each subvolume whenever it is called, avoiding
16 the need to ever have a gazillion snapshots to delete.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Everything else being equal, fat people use more soap.