From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] distccmon-gui red bars finally solved
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 01:14:13
1 I wanted to share with others on the list something that I recently
2 discovered with distccmon-gui. I found that when I travel to work and to
3 home with my laptop, sometimes the distccmon-gui would be covered with
4 red specks when processing jobs on remote hosts. I saw that they were
5 always associated with the "connecting" phase but I could never figure
6 out what the problem was because the job would eventually compile there.
7 It turns out that the connecting phase is usually slowed down by the
8 name resolution of the host, so if one of the entries in my distcc/hosts
9 file just had a short name, instead of the FQDN for the host, it would
10 show up red during connect as it tried to resolve the hostname.
11
12 I don't know how many other folks might run into this, because, like I
13 say, I really only noticed it on my laptop which sometimes gets the
14 correct domain name (at home!) but not at other times, for a given host.
15
16 Once you fix those, the distcc works great.
17
18 HTH somebody else.
19
20 Bill