From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fresh gen too install - unsuccesful
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 12:01:04
1 On Sunday 21 Dec 2014 11:44:04 German wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 11:30:49 +0000
3 >
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > I spake too soon! :-(
7 > >
8 > > I just tried to boot my Asus MoBo A88XM-PLUS, after I disabled CMS and
9 > > switched Secure Boot to other OS (as opposed to MS Windows), with
10 > > sysrescuecd-4.4.1.
11 > >
12 > > Unfortunately I can't get a console due to this error:
13 > > error: no suitable mode found.
14 > > Booting in blind mode
15 > >
16 > > Any idea how to progress from here? Is it possible with sysrescuecd?
17 >
18 > Mick, you are going right after my steps ( or I go where you go ). Just
19 > tried to boot sysresc 4.4.1 with exactly the same error message. Duh.
20 > Looks like many people with the same problem.
21
22 OK, this is what I did to progress with the installation.
23
24 1. Things that didn't work:
25
26 Editing the kernel options for nomodesetting (disable KMS option) did not work
27
28 Similarly, specifying forcevesa=1024x768 did not work.
29
30 2. What worked:
31
32 Typing blind after waiting for a while to make sure the CD had booted up to
33 set up the root passwd and then to start sshd, allowed to access the PC over
34 sshd and commence the installation. Of course, this will only work if your PC
35 is connected to the LAN. I have no solution at the moment for air-gapped
36 machines.
37
38 On the keyboard type blind:
39
40 passwd root
41 my_secret_root_passwd
42 my_secret_root_passwd
43 /etc/init.d/sshd restart
44
45 Then find the IP address of the new PC. In my case arping and some guessing
46 of the next IP that the router would have issued worked, but you can use arp-
47 scan, nmap, or some such tool, or even check your router's dhcp tables.
48
49 Then ssh root@<new PC's IP>, enter the passwd you set up above and you're good
50 to go with the installation, following the hand book and the wiki suggestions
51 for UEFI.
52
53 HTH.
54 --