From: hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 07:53:17
1 Am 03.05.2020 um 07:44 schrieb Caveman Al Toraboran:
2 > * RAIDs 4 to 6: fails to satisfy point (3)
3 > since they are stuck with a fixed tolerance
4 > towards failing disks (i.e. RAIDs 4 and 5
5 > tolerate only 1 disk failure, and RAID 6
6 > tolerates only 2).
7
8 As far as I remember there can be spare drives / partitions which will
9 replace a failed one if needed. But this does not help if drives /
10 partitions fail at the same moment. Under normal conditions spares will
11 rise the number of drives which can fail.
12
13 Nothing you asked but I had very bad experience with drives which spin
14 down by themselves to save energy (mostly titled green or so).
15
16 Also there has been some talk about SMR
17 https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/20/04/19/0432229/storage-vendors-are-quietly-slipping-smr-disks-into-consumer-hard-drives