From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my hard drive sick?
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:08:36
1 On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:12:17 -0600
2 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Dan Farrell wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:46:52 -0600
6 > > Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
9 > >> I was looking around on Newegg for a new hard drive. I found a
10 > >> 250GB that should work.
11 > >>
12 > >
13 > > You might consider getting a Seagate ES. Enterprise level seagate
14 > > drives, although they cost maybe $30 USD more, are spec.'d to spin
15 > > continuously for 5 years. A good choice if you're planning to have
16 > > the host around for a while. I am very happy with their
17 > > performance.
20 > Ooops, I have IDE and the drive I just sent a email about is a SATA.
21 > It won't work anyway. Do they have IDE drives like this?
22 >
23 > Thanks.
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
27 > :-) :-) :-)
28 perhaps you refer to the following exerpt:
29 +++++++
30
31 Slowed down and died in less than 9 months
32
33 Reviewed By: Jerry Crutcher on 11/5/2007
34 Rating + 1Rating + 1Rating + 1Rating + 1Rating + 1
35 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year
36
37 Pros: It's a 320GB SATA II drive with all the specs.
38 Cons: I had the drive in my system for about nine months. During
39 that time the system crashed (BSOD) several times. The drive's
40 performance also was disappointing, possibly because it was defective.
41 Seagate's Seatools wasn't even able to test it! To ship you a new drive
42 before you return the defective one, so I can copy off your data,
43 Seagate charges almost 25% of what Newegg charges for a new drive.
44 Granted, they provide shipping and packaging, but this doesn't cost
45 them over twenty bucks! This fee is just hard drive robbery. In
46 addition, they won't honor their warranty unless you swear to some sort
47 of "are you now or have you every been ..." statement. I thought Joe
48 McCarthy was dead. Other Thoughts: I bought Seagate because I had bad
49 luck with some other drives, and Seagate had a good reputation. I've
50 been using PCs for over twenty years, and this is a new record for a
51 drive going bad on me. Given Seagate's unreasonable charge for honoring
52 their warranty, their violation of your civil liberties, their policy
53 of pushing an "upgrade" of a refurbished drive on you (if you include
54 the value of this drive plus what Seagate wants for the upgrade, the
55 total cost is about 25% more than what Newegg charges for a new version
56 of the upgrade drive), and the fact that their tech support and
57 customer service people are in Asia and do not speak English well, I
58 plan to stay away from Seagate in the future.
59 ++++++++++++++++
60
61 I have the exact same drive, but I have owned it for only a month. I
62 have lots of seagates, and clearly still trust the brand.
63
64 It's natural to an extend that a drive or two slip past quality
65 control, once in a while, so it's quite possible this fellow simply got
66 a bad drive. It also seems possible that he dumped a whole ton of
67 data, not backed up, to the drive, assuming he could trust it since it
68 was new, and then it proceeded to die. ouch.
69
70 nevertheless, of the 130 product reviews 99 have been 5/5 eggs.
71 furthermore I once did rma a drive and, although the process was not
72 particularly expedient (the aren't, usually), it cost me nothing but
73 shipping. of course, I live in the states. I actually live right
74 across the river from the seagate building, but I think interstate
75 shipping would cost the same.
76
77 before being convinced to buy seagates ("because at least you'll be able
78 to get them replaced, if you get ones with a warranty", said my local
79 hardware guru) I purchased a samsung spinpoint ad was perfectly happy
80 with it. Before then, I was in college and it was a mismash of
81 hand-me-downs, and I once did buy an IBM De[ath|sk]Star... oops. So my
82 opinion is that samsung and seagate seem to deliver (so far...),
83 maxtor/wd/others, it's a toss-up, and IBM==bad. I am happy they're
84 moving away from the consumer hardware arena, they suck at it IMHO.
85 Thinkpads rock, but desktops suck. But I digress.
86
87 the main point about seagate is that you can buy them with 5yr warantee
88 that you can then use to get a new hard drive if you manage to kill it
89 in less than 5 years. This says to me that their quality control is
90 good enough that they don't have to refurbish too many drives and can
91 afford to offer the warranty. I would imagine that any line that
92 offered a 5 year warranty, this would be true of. I just know
93 seagate's rma process has worked for me in the past.
94 --
95 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list