From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mounting samsung galaxy S III (android ics)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:06:03
1 On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2
3 > I just purchased a new smartphone (samsung galaxy S III), which runs
4 > android ice cream sandwitch 4.0.4). I would like to copy files
5 > to and from the phone. The phone manual describes how to do this for
6 > windows (nothing needed) and Mac (a program to download), but not for
7 > gnu-linux. Apparently the phone supports MTP (media transfer protocol)
8 > and PTP (picture transfer protocol)
9 >
10 > I did some googling and there are a number of comments but no clear
11 > recommendations. Has anyone here performed file transfer
12 > gentoo <--> samsung S3.
13 >
14 > I run amd64, but I don't think that is very relevant.
15 >
16 > Just mounting or ftp would be enough; I really just want to move some
17 > files.
20 You should be able to mount it without any problems. I have ICS on my Nexus
21 S and the only requirement to mounting the phone as a USB device is to
22 toggle the USB Mass Storage option (it should show up in the notification
23 bar). On my phone, the usb storage uses ext4 (IIRC), so drivers for this
24 aren't an problem. Once the setting is toggled, it's automatically assigned
25 a device mapping and it's usable as a normal USB drive from there.