From: Aaron Russell <aaron@×××××××××××.me>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mounting samsung galaxy S III (android ics)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 01:42:27
1 On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I just purchased a new smartphone (samsung galaxy S III), which runs
6 >> android ice cream sandwitch 4.0.4). I would like to copy files
7 >> to and from the phone. The phone manual describes how to do this for
8 >> windows (nothing needed) and Mac (a program to download), but not for
9 >> gnu-linux. Apparently the phone supports MTP (media transfer protocol)
10 >> and PTP (picture transfer protocol)
11 >>
12 >> I did some googling and there are a number of comments but no clear
13 >> recommendations. Has anyone here performed file transfer
14 >> gentoo <--> samsung S3.
15 >>
16 >> I run amd64, but I don't think that is very relevant.
17 >>
18 >> Just mounting or ftp would be enough; I really just want to move some
19 >> files.
22 > You should be able to mount it without any problems. I have ICS on my
23 > Nexus S and the only requirement to mounting the phone as a USB device is
24 > to toggle the USB Mass Storage option (it should show up in the
25 > notification bar). On my phone, the usb storage uses ext4 (IIRC), so
26 > drivers for this aren't an problem. Once the setting is toggled, it's
27 > automatically assigned a device mapping and it's usable as a normal USB
28 > drive from there.
31 That does not work on the S3 because i believe it is basically one
32 partition unlike the Nexus S which has a separate partition for internal
33 storage.
34
35 I have used mtpfs in Android 3.0 on my gentoo system and found it slow and
36 unreliable. A lot might of changed in the last 6 months with mtpfs though
37 so try it and see how it works.
38
39 You could use a program for android called "adb" but its slow at pushing
40 files so if they are gonna be videos i would stay away.
41
42 And the way i do it on my Galaxy nexus is use dropbox. Move to dropbox
43 folder than download form the dropbox app on the phone. Not the best but
44 its easiest for me.