From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QMAIL WERD PROBLEMS
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:55:12
1 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:48 -0800, kashani wrote:
3 >
4 >> I hate to be that guy, but why is anyone using an MTA that was last
5 >> updated in May 1998? Use Postfix (or any other MTA under active
6 >> development), it's simpler, easier, faster, and has more functionality
7 >> without jumping through hoops.
8 >
9 > I could name a few:
10 >
11 > * Because I've been using for a long time and don't feel like
12 > learning another MTA if i don't have to.
13 > * I know it pretty well and I *trust* it.
14 > * It does everything+ I need it to do.
15 > * Is so secure that it hasn't needed an update since May 1998 ;).
16 >
17 > All those points (except the last, unfortunately) can pretty much be
18 > applied to any piece of software I use (bash, python, vim, Gentoo...)
19
20 But is it secure after adding the thirty odd patches needed to make
21 qmail a modern MTA? However if you're familiar with it, then yeah stick
22 with what you know though the change to Postfix at least was so painless
23 I wondered why I didn't do it years earlier.
24
25 For all you new users picking your first MTA: pick something else
26 anything else besides qmail. :-) Please.
27
28 kashani
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list