From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:52:01
1 On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 6/3/2014 1:08 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 [ ... ]
4 >> Who is "forcing" anything?
7 > I was specifically referring to your comment that:
8 >
9 >> The thing is, this is going to keep happening, as more and more
10 >> infrastructure migrates towards systemd.
11 >
12 > That comment right there - specifically the word *infrastructure* - screams
13 > to me 'we intend to take over the world'.
14
15 Well, yeah; that has been the objective from day 1. That systemd is
16 used by default by almost all Linux users and distributions. Nobody
17 has ever claimed anything on the contrary. And we are pretty advanced
18 in that objective, by the way.
19
20 That doesn't mean that anything is being force on anyone. SysV is
21 still available, and so it is OpenRC, and so it is pm-utils (although
22 it's been 5 years since last updated). Go on and use them if you want.
23
24 Oh, you want *someone else* to do that work for you? Sorry, is not
25 going to happen.
26
27 You want that ALL the infrastructure to keep working with something
28 else besides systemd? Go on and make it work with OpenRC, pm-utils,
29 ConsoleKit and HAL.
30
31 Oh, you want *someone else* to do that work for you? Sorry, not gonna happen.
32
33 If the people *IN CHARGE* of the infrastructure decides to use
34 systemd, they are not forcing nothing on no one. They are taking
35 *their code* and making it better by using the technologically
36 superior option.
37
38 > And yes, as devs get lazier (decide to rely on systemd rather than build it
39 > to work independently of the init system),
40
41 Really? They are lazy? That means is "easy" to not rely on systemd,
42 right? So go on and make their projects not to rely on systemd, if it
43 is so easy.
44
45 > this will in fact result in
46 > *users* (read: those lacking the skills to code every program out there to
47 > work without systemd) eventually being *forced* to switch to systemd.
48
49 NO THEY ARE NOT. Really, almost *all* the code we Linux users get to
50 use is a freakin' *GIFT*, and the developers responsible for it decide
51 to use A BETTER OPTION (like systemd is), and some people have the
52 *audacity* to call that "forcing" them something?
53
54 THE CODE IS FREE, for all the meanings of the word "free". Therefore,
55 there is no "forcing" of NOTHING on NO ONE.
56
57 There can't be.
58
59 Seriously, I haven't ever said what I'm about to say, but I'm getting
60 really tired of this same old discussion about some users thinking
61 they have the right to tell developers what they can or can't use in
62 their code.
63
64 You want your Linux to behave like the Unices of the 70's? Forget it;
65 that train is gone. Linux (as in mainstream) is going to use systemd
66 everywhere, from embedded to big iron, and that is for the best.
67
68 If you want a 70's-like Unix, go on and install FreeBSD.
69
70 > That is simply the reality. You can ignore it if you like, but it doesn't
71 > change it. Forced is forced.
72
73 No, it's a "reality" you invented in your head. Take the code and do
74 wonders with it; is free.
75
76 Oh, you can't? Then you are not being forced anything; you are just
77 unable to make the things work like you want.
78
79 That's totally different.
80
81 >> That's what you and many others don't seem to understand: systemd is a
82 >> *BETTER* implementation for basically *ALL* the hodgepodge of
83 >> "solutions" that we had before in our plumbing layer.
84 >
85 > Time will tell, and you may even be right. The problem is, average users
86 > really don't have a way to prove this to themselves, all we see is the
87 > wailing and gnashing of teeth as stuff constantly *breaks* that *never*
88 > broke before.
89
90 Really, Tanstaafl? Because in this list I usually see the *SAME* small
91 group of people complaining about systemd. From time to time some new
92 systemd user asks about some issues they found, but for the most part
93 they (with the list help) solve those issues.
94
95 And the world goes on. Users didn't abandoned Fedora, OpenSuse, Arch,
96 Debian nor Ubuntu "en masse" when they decided to switch to systemd.
97 There were complains, sure; but now it seems to have calmed down. Most
98 systemd users (wether they chose to use systemd or their distributions
99 did it for them) seem to be happy.
100
101 And guess what? They will not abandon Gentoo if it ever decides to
102 switch to systemd.
103
104 Although I'm pretty sure a small (tiny, really) number of
105 fundamentalist users will go to *BSD. And that's their choice.
106
107 Perhaps you should consider doing that? And I'm saying that with all
108 due respect; but be aware that on *BSD, the developers there also make
109 their own decisions.
110
111 If you want your systemd *exactly* the way you want it, you have to
112 write it yourself. Nobody is going to do it for you.
113
114 Regards.
115 --
116 Canek Peláez Valdés
117 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias