From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 12:22:51
1 On 6/3/2014 1:08 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On 6/3/2014 11:10 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Maybe. The thing is, this is going to keep happening, as more and more
5 >>> infrastructure migrates towards systemd. Perhaps a news item everytime
6 >>> it happens is unrealistic?
7
8 >> Weren't you the one saying that those of us who were voicing concerns that
9 >> systemd proponents were ultimately wanting to FORCE systemd on everyone were
10 >> just scare-mongering conspiracy theorists?
11
12 > Who is "forcing" anything?
13
14 I was specifically referring to your comment that:
15
16 > The thing is, this is going to keep happening, as more and more
17 > infrastructure migrates towards systemd.
18
19 That comment right there - specifically the word *infrastructure* -
20 screams to me 'we intend to take over the world'.
21
22 And yes, as devs get lazier (decide to rely on systemd rather than build
23 it to work independently of the init system), this will in fact result
24 in *users* (read: those lacking the skills to code every program out
25 there to work without systemd) eventually being *forced* to switch to
26 systemd.
27
28 That is simply the reality. You can ignore it if you like, but it
29 doesn't change it. Forced is forced.
30
31 > That's what you and many others don't seem to understand: systemd is a
32 > *BETTER* implementation for basically *ALL* the hodgepodge of
33 > "solutions" that we had before in our plumbing layer.
34
35 Time will tell, and you may even be right. The problem is, average users
36 really don't have a way to prove this to themselves, all we see is the
37 wailing and gnashing of teeth as stuff constantly *breaks* that *never*
38 broke before.