From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Somewhat OT] Laptop battery not showing up in KDE, Smart Battery calibration
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 17:07:40
1 On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 12:05 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >> Has anyone tried to replace the cells inside their own battery? I'm
3 >> reading this site:
4 >> http://www.electronics-lab.com/articles/Li_Ion_reconstruct/
5 >>
6 >> Seems kind of dangerous... I can't price the cells because I haven't
7 >> opened my battery pack, so I don't know if it's really any cheaper
8 >> than buying a new one.
9 >
10 > Actually, it is dangerous and I wouldn't trust the batterypack anywhere near
11 > my laptop after a procedure like that.
12 >
13 > If the soldering isn't done correctly, the battery-pack can literally explode
14 > when put under load.
15
16 Yeah, I don't think the savings would be big enough to justify the risk.
17
18 I found a replacement battery online for less than USD$30 so I ordered
19 it. Hopefully it fits and holds a charge. :)