From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Finding other machines on the network
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:51:56
1 James schreef:
2 > Holly Bostick <motub <at> planet.nl> writes:
3 >>> James schreef:
4 >>> Say 'Hello, to my little friend'
5 >>>
6 >>> arpscan
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>> http://ish.cx/~jason/arpscan/
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> Sure would be nice if is was ported to an ebuild......
13 >>
14 >> Some reason you can't submit one to b.g.o (if that hasn't been done
15 >> already)?
16 >
17 > Hello Holly,
18 >
19 > I'm not sure what 'b.g.o.' refers to, (sorry I don't get out much).
20
21 bugs.gentoo.org, the traditional first stop for new ebuilds wanting to
22 make their way into Portage.
23 >
24 > If your saying that why don't I make a formal request, well, I figure
25 > I've already requested too much (jffnms, updated zoneminder, netenv)
26 > None of which is completed (unmasked). I figure I've worn out my
27 > welcome at gentoo.*....
28
29 ????
30
31 Where have you been doing this requesting? What do you mean by 'none of
32 which is completed (unmasked)'?
33
34 and where is gentoo.* (since ebuild requests are properly made at
35 bugs.gentoo.org)?
38 > I've been 'schooled' several times that I need to read up on creating
39 > ebuilds, and start contributing (actually I agree with this sort of
40 > public spanking...)
41 >
42 > Contributing ebuils is on my to_do list, but, I have yet to get a
43 > project completed. I'm a little 'gun_shy' as to receiving another
44 > disertation on my ineptness.......
45
46 That's what overlays are for; take a similar ebuild, copy it to your
47 overlay, modify it to your needs, try it out.
48
49 If it works, then submit a bug to b.g.o and attach the ebuild so that
50 others can try it out under different conditions, thus exposing any bugs.
51
52 A lot of the time an ebuild can be copied and adapted with only minor
53 changes that even I can do (and I can't code my way out of a paper bag,
54 but I've got a credit in a ChangeLog, of which I'm very proud ;) , since
55 I can't code my way out of a paper bag).
56
57 Nobody beats you up for 'trying' around here, although people will tell
58 you if you make stupid mistakes that you should have been able to avoid
59 by reading the docs, and everybody isn't the highest paragon of
60 politeness. But
61 usually people thank you for trying, and help you improve. Certainly if
62 you try, and then say, "OK, I got this far, but I'm over my head at this
63 point," people will leap to your assistance.
64
65 But nobody appreciates requests that increase their workload as if the
66 user has some inborn right to it ('gimme, gimme, gimme')-- though
67 sometimes, a request is interesting enough to somebody with some free
68 time on their hands that they do it anyway (usually if it's simple).
71 > So when I'm confident that I can contribute ebuilds, I'll let your
72 > and the 'greater gentoo' community know.
73
74 How are you supposed to be confident in your ability to do something if
75 you never do it because you're not confident in your ability to succeed?
76 >
77 Holly
78 --
79 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list