From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] irritating cron habit
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:19:31
1 110220 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Am 20.02.2011 15:04, schrieb Philip Webb:
3 >> I fetch my mail using a user cron job, as recommended for security.
4 >> Usually, this works very well, but occasionally the cron job runs
5 >> before the Dhcpcd command has made the necessary connection
6 >> which results in a file ~/dead.letter , which has to be deleted
7 >> Is there a way to fix this ? -- I could perhaps write a 2-line script
8 >> which would run 'dhcpcd eth0 ; /etc/init.d/vixie-cron',
9 >> while removing Vixie-cron from the Default runlevel.
10 > When dhcpcd runs, there should be the following files:
11 > /var/run/dhcpcd.pid <<-- not this one
12 > /var/run/dhcpcd-eth0.pid <<-- yes
13 > Just change your cron job to look like
14 > 'test -e /var/run/dhcpcd.pid && fetchmail'
15
16 That's by far the simplest & it still fetches the mail,
17 so we'll see if it also avoids the occasional internal spam msgs.
18 Thanks for all the suggestions, which I will add to my Linux notes.
22 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
23 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
24 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca