From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chage can't open /etc/passwd
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:44:27
1 On 9/17/07, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > I've been having this problem on one of my machines for a while. As a
3 > user or as root I cannot run chage:
4 >
5 > $ chage -l marduk
6 > chage: can't open password file
7 >
8 > I've looked at /etc/passwd*, /etc/shadow* /etc/group* and /etc/gshadow*
9 > and all the permissions look fine. It works on other machines. I even
10 > tried re-emerging the shadow package, but still get the same error.
11 >
12 > I tried running pwck thinking the password file was somehow currupt.
13 > pwck only complains about users with invalid home directories/shells.
14 > Oddly enough, 'pwck' runs w/o errors, but 'pwck -r' (read-only) gives.
15 >
16 > pwck: cannot open file /etc/passwd
19 > syslog shows:
20 > Sep 17 10:07:49 [chage] failed opening /etc/passwd
21 >
22 > I'm at a loss. Rebooting makes no difference. passwd seems to work
23 > fine. I can open /etc/passwd myself (as root and user) just fine. Anyone
24 > got any clues?
25
26 This is just triage, but what are the permissions on /etc/passwd?
29 Ryan W Sims
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list