From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: yubikeys
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 06:31:29
1 Am 2015-07-19 um 00:45 schrieb walt:
2 > On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 12:21:39 +0200
3 > "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
6 >> Does anyone (aside from Diego, as I know from his blog) use Yubico
7 >> Yubikeys with Gentoo?
8 >>
9 >> I am especially interested in getting it to work within Gnome, to
10 >> authenticate ssh-sessions (using the smartcard feature of the Yubikey
11 >> NEO).
12 >>
13 >> There are X howtos out there ... telling me to add udev-rules, disable
14 >> gnome-keyring, run keychain ... etc etc
17 > What an amazing coincidence. I just listened to a podcast about an hour
18 > ago where the process was explained in detail (even mentioning the NEO
19 > model and smartcard in particular). Weird.
20 >
21 > I'm curious to know if this link actually gives you what you asked for:
22 >
23 > http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/85062/ssh-authentication-with-yubikey-las-373/
24 >
25 > You can either watch (or listen to) the podcast, or scroll down the page
26 > about one-third to see written instructions. (Instructions based on
27 > ubuntu, not gentoo, but I'm sure you can translate :)
28
29 Thanks. Ok, didn't yet know about that piv-tool, will build it later
30 this day and try it.
31
32 The instructions there seem to be simply taken from the yubico website:
33
34 https://developers.yubico.com/yubico-piv-tool/SSH_with_PIV_and_PKCS11.html
35
36 The howto doesn't use gpg-(sub)keys for ssh-auth, so far I followed
37 howtos like this:
38
39 https://stafwag.github.io/blog/blog/2015/06/16/using-yubikey-neo-as-gpg-smartcard-for-ssh-authentication/
40
41 As I have an existing gpg-keyring I am cautious not to break things.
42 So I added subkeys with 2048 bits to make them fit on the SC-part of the
43 Neo Yubikey (my main key is 4096 bits long).
44
45 This guy
46
47 http://blog.josefsson.org/2014/06/23/offline-gnupg-master-key-and-subkeys-on-yubikey-neo-smartcard/
48
49 moves on to a new main key while doing all this ... maybe I should
50 consider this as well.
51
52 All the howtos out there have in common, that the process of handling
53 all the needed parts feels kind of unintuitive and scary. And I always
54 wonder if I haven't missed a thing and locked myself out forever ;-)
55
56 I had ssh using the (gpg-)subkey from the card already on one machine.
57 Somehow it stopped working again and I am not sure what I screwed up.
58
59 All this lead me to using keychain (
60 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Keychain ) ... to control agents for gpg
61 and ssh (and cache PINs/passphrases). So I have to disable parts of the
62 gnome-keyring (maybe the whole?) to let keychain manage that.
63
64 Many moving parts included.
65
66 Stefan