From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Still not getting how to influence compile flags with emerge
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:19:54
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Harry Putnam
3 > Sent: 02 December 2005 15:31
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Still not getting how to influence
6 > compile flags with emerge
9 > I want to influence how vim is compiled. I'm told I need a compile
10 > option called: xterm_clipboard. How do I tell emerge to enable that
11 > at compile time?
12 >
13 > I've been told its done with USE flags but it still isn't clear to mw
14 > how the details work
15 >
16 > I'm still not sure what emerge output really means when you run a
17 > pretend install and various flags are displayed with + or minus
18 >
19 > root # emerge -v -p -uD vim
20 >
21 > These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
22 >
23 > Calculating dependencies ...done!
24 > [ebuild N ] app-editors/vim-6.4 -acl -bash-completion -cscope +gpm
25 > -minimal +nls +perl +python -ruby -vim-with-x 4,752 kB
26 >
27 > Does it mean that the flags displayed are the only ones I can adjust?
28
29 As I understand it, yes. To see which flags a particular package can
30 specify you can either run:
31 ==================================================
32 # emerge -uDpv package_name (just as you did above)
33 ==================================================
34
35 or you could try the equery command of the gentoolkit, e.g.:
36 ==================================================
37 # # equery uses gnumeric
38 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
39 [ Legend : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags ]
40 [ : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ]
41
42 U I [ Found these USE variables in : app-office/gnumeric-1.2.0 ]
43 - - libgda : Adds GNU Data Access (CORBA wrapper) support for gnumeric
44 - - gnomedb : unknown
45 + + python : Adds support/bindings for the Python language
46 + + bonobo : Adds support for gnome-base/bonobo (Gnome CORBA
48
49 Of course all this and much more is well documented in the Gentoo guide:
50
51 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2
52 --
53 Regards,