From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: keeping ati-drivers 8.34.8 in portage
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:36:09
1 Iain Buchanan <iain <at> pcorp.com.au> writes:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Due to the recent X updates, portage wants to upgrade ati-drivers. I am
7 > having problems with all ati-drivers newer than 8.34.8
10 Hello Iain,
11
12 Like you, I have had some issues with ati-drivers, particularly with newer
13 [580} chipsets. I went to an ATI site and poke around reading for a while.
14
15 I've been using 8.39.4 for quite some time on 2 newer systems and it
16 is stable(or at least with the 3D game bzflag) and normal workstation usage.
17
18 My experience is trial and error, burning lots of time before you find
19 an ati-driver that works good with your chipset. I'm not sure the criteria
20 or who marks ati-drivers as stable, but, ati-drivers-8.39.4 would get
21 an affirmative from me.
24 hth,
25
26 James