From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID help
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 19:29:18
1 On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I haven't had to set up a software RAID for years and now. I want to set up
5 > two RAID 1 arrays on a new file server to serve SBM to MSWindows clients. The
6 > first RAID1 having two disks, where a multipartition OS installation will take
7 > place. The second RAID1 having two disks for a single data partition.
8 >
9 > From what I recall I used mdadm with --auto=mdp, to create a RAID1 from 2
10 > disks, before I used fdisk to partition the new /dev/md0 as necessary. All
11 > this is lost in the fog of time. Now I read that these days udev names the
12 > devices/partitions, so I am not sure what the implication of this is and how
13 > to proceed.
14 >
15 > What is current practice? Create multiple /dev/mdXs for the OS partitions I
16 > would want and then stick a fs on each one, or create one /dev/md0 which
17 > thereafter is formatted with multiple partitions? Grateful for any pointers
18 > to resolve my confusion.
19
20 One of the best resources is the kernel RAID wiki:
21 https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/