From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wireless dropping connections
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:03:52
1 On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm using wicd-1.7.2.4-r1 and a NetGear DGN2200M v2 wireless AP
3 > (802.11n)
4 >
5 > Several times a day, this thing just drops wireless.
6
7 Has it always done this? If not, did anything change around the time
8 the problem started? Upgrading drivers/kernel, firmware on router,
9 change of internet connection speed, usage patters, etc.
10
11 I had a D-Link router that would reboot itself every time there were
12 more than 100 or so connections. That meant any time something like
13 bittorrent was used, it would reboot every 10 or 15 minutes until the
14 network traffic died down. The same router would melt down under the
15 load from 10mbps network traffic.
16
17 I have a Buffalo router running OpenWrt whose network disconnects
18 randomly, including wired network. The box doesn't reboot but
19 networking gets reset or something. Usually happens once or twice an
20 hour. Stock firmware and DD-WRT also suffer from widely-reported
21 disconnect issues, so this may be another defective design...
22
23 And I have a high-power microwave oven that kills all wifi connections
24 in the entire house every time it is used. The food comes out nice and
25 hot, though. :)