From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wireless dropping connections
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:09:10
1 On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:01:26 -0500
2 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I'm using wicd-1.7.2.4-r1 and a NetGear DGN2200M v2 wireless AP
7 > > (802.11n)
8 > >
9 > > Several times a day, this thing just drops wireless.
10 >
11 > Has it always done this? If not, did anything change around the time
12 > the problem started? Upgrading drivers/kernel, firmware on router,
13 > change of internet connection speed, usage patters, etc.
14
15 It's done it since new (which was recently) and nothing else changed.
16 The XBox, tablets, phones and the missus' Windows laptop all show the
17 same problem - so it's not Gentoo :-)
18
19 Wireless was always stable on all my previous b/g routers, but this one
20 is n and has been doing it out of the box.
21
22 I switched it from channel 8 to channel 1 yesterday and now find it
23 disconnects more often. Next step I think is to try 6 and 11 in that
24 order whilst making the local hardware store owner weathly by buying
25 trunking and moving the device
26
27 > I had a D-Link router that would reboot itself every time there were
28 > more than 100 or so connections. That meant any time something like
29 > bittorrent was used, it would reboot every 10 or 15 minutes until the
30 > network traffic died down. The same router would melt down under the
31 > load from 10mbps network traffic.
32 >
33 > I have a Buffalo router running OpenWrt whose network disconnects
34 > randomly, including wired network. The box doesn't reboot but
35 > networking gets reset or something. Usually happens once or twice an
36 > hour. Stock firmware and DD-WRT also suffer from widely-reported
37 > disconnect issues, so this may be another defective design...
38
39 I've seen issues like that many times too.
40
41 It used to be I could go down to stores at work and book out a nice
42 shiny new Cisco with pro-grade wireless chips and drivers, no question
43 asked. Those things are rock solid and refuse to die, we have 1000s in
44 the field that have never been touched for years.
45
46 I can still book stuff out, but lately it's a Billion I'd get :-(
49 > And I have a high-power microwave oven that kills all wifi connections
50 > in the entire house every time it is used. The food comes out nice and
51 > hot, though. :)
52
53 :-)
57 Alan McKinnon