From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:25:23
1 On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:53:47 +0800
2 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/29/12 12:42, kwkhui@××××.net wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:57:07 +0800
6 > > Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Hi all,
9 > >> Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro
10 > >> for an old motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards,
11 > >> SP13000, and want to whack something light onto it. It will be
12 > >> working as a file/media server and will be headless, hence will be
13 > >> fiddled via ssh. Obviously there are the usual suspects, debian,
14 > >> centos, but does anyone have any recommendations viv a vis a
15 > >> stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu is to Ubuntu?
16 > >>
17 > >> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
18 > >>
19 > >> Andrew
20 > >
21 > > Well, if you are only going to need it as an NAS, why not try
22 > > FreeNAS? OK, its kernel is BSD rather than Linux, but that
23 > > shouldn't be a problem.
24 > >
25 > > Kerwin.
28 > Thanks, I'll look into that.
29
30 FreeNAS comes *highly* recommended. It isn't cli driven though, it's a
31 django framework on nginx and runs off a memory stick. Resource usage
32 is next to nothing and it makes an awesome media server. It ships with
33 NFS, CIFS and FTP support and has plugins for dlna, firefly and
34 transmission. With the benefit that you don't have to build any of it,
35 write a 160M image to a memory stick, reboot, configure storage drives
36 and away you go.
37
38 I would advise that you not use ZFS on an old machine though, ZFS likes
39 *lots* of RAM. Rather use the FreeBSD default of UFS.
40
41 The screenshot is one of mine, a media server running on an HP
42 Proliant miniserver. No matter what I throw at that thing, it just
43 keeps laughing at me and asking if that's all I got....
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com

media.png image/png