From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:39:13
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:53:47 +0800
3 > Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 08/29/12 12:42, kwkhui@××××.net wrote:
6 >> > On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 10:57:07 +0800
7 >> > Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
8 >> >
9 >> >> Hi all,
10 >> >> Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server distro
11 >> >> for an old motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX boards,
12 >> >> SP13000, and want to whack something light onto it. It will be
13 >> >> working as a file/media server and will be headless, hence will be
14 >> >> fiddled via ssh. Obviously there are the usual suspects, debian,
15 >> >> centos, but does anyone have any recommendations viv a vis a
16 >> >> stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu is to Ubuntu?
17 >> >>
18 >> >> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
19 >> >>
20 >> >> Andrew
21 >> >
22 >> > Well, if you are only going to need it as an NAS, why not try
23 >> > FreeNAS? OK, its kernel is BSD rather than Linux, but that
24 >> > shouldn't be a problem.
25 >> >
26 >> > Kerwin.
27 >> >
28 >>
29 >> Thanks, I'll look into that.
30 >
31 > FreeNAS comes *highly* recommended. It isn't cli driven though, it's a
32 > django framework on nginx and runs off a memory stick. Resource usage
33 > is next to nothing and it makes an awesome media server. It ships with
34 > NFS, CIFS and FTP support and has plugins for dlna, firefly and
35 > transmission. With the benefit that you don't have to build any of it,
36 > write a 160M image to a memory stick, reboot, configure storage drives
37 > and away you go.
38 >
39 > I would advise that you not use ZFS on an old machine though, ZFS likes
40 > *lots* of RAM. Rather use the FreeBSD default of UFS.
41 >
42 > The screenshot is one of mine, a media server running on an HP
43 > Proliant miniserver. No matter what I throw at that thing, it just
44 > keeps laughing at me and asking if that's all I got....
45
46 I will concur that FreeNAS is a good fileserving platform. It's very
47 probable I'll use it for my storage needs once I've got the time and
48 coin to assemble a storage box after moving+silly season.
51 :wq