From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 15:07:44
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 06/06/2020 08:49, Dale wrote:
3 >> First drive seems to have died.  Got part way copying files and
4 >> things got interesting.  When checking smartctrl, it even puked on my
5 >> keyboard.  Drive only had a few hundred hours on it so maybe the
6 >> drive was iffy from the start or that enclosure did damage somehow.
7 >> Either way, drive two being tested.  Running smartctrl test first and
8 >> then restart from scratch and fill it up with files or something.
9 >
10 > Take it out the enclosure and it might be fine. I regularly have
11 > drives "die" in an enclosure and then work fine when I take them out.
12 >
13 > That's why I bought an open bay - it's eSATA and the only bit of the
14 > drive that is enclosed is the connectors. Keeps the drive from cooking
15 > ...
16 >
17 > Oh - the other thing - if it's PMR and you're copying files onto it,
18 > expect a puke! That thing on WD Reds going PMR, I copied most of that
19 > on to the linux raid mailing list and the general feeling I get is
20 > "PMR is bad".
21 >
22 > Cheers,
23 > Wol
28 I may test it later by connecting it directly to the SATA card but I
29 suspect the drive is bad.  I managed to get the selftest data from the
30 drive once after several tries and it had a lot of failures.  It had
31 more than one type of error as well.  At this point, I don't see me
32 trusting any data on it anyway.  The first type of enclosure I think is
33 just cheaply made.  The new types, rock solid.
34
35 Read other replies, yea, SMR isn't good for my use case.  I do have a
36 external drive that I do incremental backups on that is SMR.  It works
37 OK but the other day I had a rather large list of new files.  It got a
38 little slow toward the end.  I suspect its PMR section got full.  It
39 eventually finished but I did notice a slow down, a good sized one.
40 Avoiding SMR like its the plague.
41
42 Reading other replies, some two or three times.  ;-)  Lots of good
43 info.  I'm wanting to encrypt /home but also want another drive that
44 when I'm gone, it is no longer accessible.  A person can dd the drive or
45 something and start over but not access the data on it.  Right now, the
46 3TB will be more than enough for that.
47
48 Thanks to all for the info.  Getting new reading glasses today.  Should
49 have new prescription glasses this coming week, hope anyway.  Sometimes
50 it takes a while to get the lenses made.  They have to use a really
51 complicated process.  I think each lens costs around $200.  My eyes
52 aren't much to work with.  Basically, I'm more cyclops, just in the
53 right place.  :/
54
55 Dale
56