From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 13:57:49
1 On 06/06/2020 08:49, Dale wrote:
2 > First drive seems to have died.  Got part way copying files and things
3 > got interesting.  When checking smartctrl, it even puked on my
4 > keyboard.  Drive only had a few hundred hours on it so maybe the drive
5 > was iffy from the start or that enclosure did damage somehow. Either
6 > way, drive two being tested.  Running smartctrl test first and then
7 > restart from scratch and fill it up with files or something.
8
9 Take it out the enclosure and it might be fine. I regularly have drives
10 "die" in an enclosure and then work fine when I take them out.
11
12 That's why I bought an open bay - it's eSATA and the only bit of the
13 drive that is enclosed is the connectors. Keeps the drive from cooking ...
14
15 Oh - the other thing - if it's PMR and you're copying files onto it,
16 expect a puke! That thing on WD Reds going PMR, I copied most of that on
17 to the linux raid mailing list and the general feeling I get is "PMR is
18 bad".
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol