From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encrypting a hard drive's data. Best method.
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 14:10:40
1 On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 9:57 AM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Oh - the other thing - if it's PMR and you're copying files onto it,
4 > expect a puke! That thing on WD Reds going PMR, I copied most of that on
5 > to the linux raid mailing list and the general feeling I get is "PMR is
6 > bad".
9 You're mixing up PMR/SMR there. PMR=CMR=the way things have been for
10 the last few decades. SMR is the new shingled technology.
11
12 There is nothing wrong with it per se, but it is NOT a drop-in
13 substitute for all applications. It works best if it is host-managed
14 with a filesystem or application that was engineered specifically to
15 use it.
16
17 If you tried to swap a hard drive with a tape drive you'd have
18 terrible results 99% of the time, but that doesn't make tape drives a
19 bad thing. They just aren't drop-in substitutes for hard drives and
20 you need to use them with appropriate applications.
21
22 One of the problems with drive-managed SMR is that it can seem to be
23 ok when you're just doing light duty access, and then when one of your
24 other drives fails and you're doing a zfs resilver the SMR drive
25 starts performing an order of magnitude or more worse and you find
26 yourself painted in to a corner.
29 Rich