From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Video card with two ports.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:31:18
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 03:13:37AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > >
3 > > What size is that screen? Can you attach a screen shot? I have 1920x1080 on
4 > > everything but this laptop (1440x900), and use 23" screens at work. Still, I
5 > > just can't seem to like any setup with more than one thing on the screen at a
6 > > time. My desktop has GKrellM with width 100 on the right hand side.
7 >
8 > It's a 24" monitor. Screenshot attached. I'm migrating over to UZBL
9 > as my web browser, if you wonder why it looks unfamiliar. As per my
10 > sig, I don't use a fancy DE. I use ICEWM. One nice feature is the
11 > menu+launch bar which only pops up when I bring the mouse pointer to the
12 > bottom of the screen. The rest of the time it stays out of the way. I
13 > also have multiple workspaces, and keep related stuff open in their own
14 > workspaces.
15 >
16 > Maybe what you're looking for is a "different type of 1440 monitor",
17 > namely a 27" 2560x1440 display. Drool. Available from $600 and up at
18 > Best Buy here in Toronto. Probably significantly cheaper in the USA.
19
20 Thanks for the screenshot.
21
22 I use Fluxbox on all comps except this laptop, where Xfce4 has been a test to
23 see if it's a DE that I could support for people migrating from Windows. The
24 Linux DEs are really quite poor in quality compared to Windows.
25
26 For my own workstation, urxvt with tabs is my main app. For years now I've had
27 irssi running in one of it's tabs, but now I'm wanting to see it at the same
28 time as wherever else I'm working. To achieve that, irssi needs to come out of
29 that urvxt instance, and I haven't decided how I want to do that yet.
30
31 Today 1920x1080 on a 23" screen still doesn't look like a large working
32 environment. Maybe if I'd never had greater resolution on 17" and 19" CRTs,
33 and come from 1024x768 on a 15" LCD, I'd think it HUGE. Part of the issue is
34 that I've gotten used to using apps open fullscreen (sans GKrellM) on this
35 size desktop, so whenever I put two apps side-by-side something gets lost. I'm
36 sure in time it would grow on me, just as I've now, in the last year or less,
37 gotten okay with using a second workspace (first time in 10 years with
38 Fluxbox). It's exclusively for Teamviewer, though.
39
40 As for a 27" 2560x1440 display for $600 ... cold day in Hades comes to mind.
41 IMO $200 is _very_expensive_ for a computer monitor, unless you're doing high
42 end graphics work in Adobe products for commercial printing and need color
43 calibration. But then, you'd not be using a Linux OS for that.
44 --
45 Happy Penguin Computers >')
46 126 Fenco Drive ( \
47 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
49 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
50 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
51
52 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
53 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
54 A: Top-posting.
55 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
56
57 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting