From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Video card with two ports.
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:35:28
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 07:31:04AM -0500, Bruce Hill wrote
2
3 > Today 1920x1080 on a 23" screen still doesn't look like a large
4 > working environment. Maybe if I'd never had greater resolution on
5 > 17" and 19" CRTs, and come from 1024x768 on a 15" LCD, I'd think
6 > it HUGE. Part of the issue is that I've gotten used to using apps
7 > open fullscreen (sans GKrellM) on this size desktop, so whenever
8 > I put two apps side-by-side something gets lost. I'm sure in time
9 > it would grow on me, just as I've now, in the last year or less,
10 > gotten okay with using a second workspace (first time in 10 years
11 > with Fluxbox). It's exclusively for Teamviewer, though.
12
13 I doggedly stuck with one workspace, until the running-programs tabs
14 on the launchpad became ridiculously crowded. Then I went to the
15 opposite extreme, and now have 11 workspaces. Each workspace has
16 related stuff open in it.
17
18 > As for a 27" 2560x1440 display for $600 ... cold day in Hades comes
19 > to mind. IMO $200 is _very_expensive_ for a computer monitor,
20 > unless you're doing high end graphics work in Adobe products for
21 > commercial printing and need color calibration. But then, you'd not
22 > be using a Linux OS for that.
23
24 Give it a year or 2, and the price will come down. Back in my more
25 foolish days, in a previous century, I paid over $1,000 (including tax)
26 for a 19" NEC MultiSync 95 CRT monitor and it still works today. See
27 http://www.cueproductions.com/forsale/NECMultiSync.html
28 http://lahore.saintclassified.pk/nec-multisync-95-19-crt-monitor-conditon-good-ad-390941
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
32 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications