From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tethering an htc incredible
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 15:04:38
1 On Fri, Jun 17 2011, Mick wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 17 Jun 2011 11:52:03 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >>
5 >> The forum post does not involve any ms windows code (in is a gentoo
6 >> forum). Indeed it seems perfect ...
7 >> ... except that for me it doesn't work. I has worked for others so
8 >> I must have some configuration (probably the kernel) wrong.
9 >>
10 >> thanks again for trying to help. I appreciate it.
11 >> allan
12 >
13 > Hmm ...
14 >
15 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNDIS
16 >
17 > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463293
20 > I'm not saying that the code running on Linux is MSWindows (the protocol is)
21 > and RNDIS is of course faster than e.g. a USB-serial connection, but I still
22 > think that you should be able to use USB directly without the RNDIS plug 'n
23 > play protocol. PPP will allow you to do the dialling part over USB. It may
24 > take longer to configure than using RNDIS, but it should work all the same and
25 > at the same IO speeds.
26 >
27 > Anyhow, if the problem you are trying to solve is how to get RNDIS going, what
28 > I suggest is more of a work-around than the solution you are seeking.
29 >
30 > Hope you crack this soon. :)
31
32 Thank you for this extra information.
33 allan