From: Shoka <shoka@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo with X
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:50:01
1 Hello group,
2
3 I'm trying to build kind of a minimal gentoo setup with X support. All I
4 need is
5
6 - X11 and a Window Manager
7 - Mozilla Firefox
8 - Lighttpd
9
10 I use Gnome at this time.
11
12 du reports the following directories as the biggest directories on my
13 system:
14
15 /usr/lib 418 MB
16 /usr/portage 1200 MB
17 /usr/share 550 MB
18 /usr/src 560 MB (Kernel Sources)
19
20 The other directories are very small.
21
22 I think, the system is quite heavy in size, isn't it? I really would
23 like to be able to shrink it down but not loosing functionality.
24
25 Now I'm looking for tips to reduce disk consumption further. I've
26 already cleaned /usr/portage/distfiles.
27
28 I read that removing the whole /usr/portage after setting up the system
29 is not a good idea. Is that true?
30
31 May be someone could recommend a better window manager (smaller in size,
32 stable)?
33
34 I really appreciate any kind of recommendation to this topic.
37 Kind regards,
38 André