From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird and IMAP folders
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:45:44
1 Hi,
2
3 I routinely use thunderbird to access mail on a cyrus IMAP server with
4 very large folders (thousands of archived messages).
5
6 IMAP support in the 3.1 series seems quite stable to me (whereas 2.x had
7 frequent problems with folder indexes and 3.0.x tended to hang randomly
8 while performing server operations)
9
10 The only problem I can think of is that if you have used the default
11 settings for the message search feature, thunderbird will attempt to
12 build a full-text search index by downloading every message on the
13 server (body included) when it is first run. Thunderbird will try
14 downloading messages from multiple folders in parallel, which might
15 cause a hign load on the server resulting in substantial delays when
16 listing folder contents.
17
18 If thunderbird is indexing messages (look at the progress indicator on
19 the status bar), try leaving it alone until it is done -- it's a
20 one-time process.
21
22 If, on the other hand, everything is idle, I'm sorry but I have no idea.
23
24 HTH,
25
26 andrea