From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird and IMAP folders
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:43:40
1 On 09/01/2010 10:44 AM, Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I routinely use thunderbird to access mail on a cyrus IMAP server with
5 > very large folders (thousands of archived messages).
6 >
7 > IMAP support in the 3.1 series seems quite stable to me (whereas 2.x had
8 > frequent problems with folder indexes and 3.0.x tended to hang randomly
9 > while performing server operations)
10 >
11 > The only problem I can think of is that if you have used the default
12 > settings for the message search feature, thunderbird will attempt to
13 > build a full-text search index by downloading every message on the
14 > server (body included) when it is first run. Thunderbird will try
15 > downloading messages from multiple folders in parallel, which might
16 > cause a hign load on the server resulting in substantial delays when
17 > listing folder contents.
18 >
19 > If thunderbird is indexing messages (look at the progress indicator on
20 > the status bar), try leaving it alone until it is done -- it's a
21 > one-time process.
22 >
23 > If, on the other hand, everything is idle, I'm sorry but I have no idea.
24 >
25 > HTH,
26 >
27 > andrea
28 The problem turned out not to be with Thunderbird at all, but with the
29 courier-imap configuration. I found in /var/log/messages some instances
30 of this:
31 imapd-ssl: Maximum connection limit reached for ::ffff:10.0.0.1
32
33 It appears that the default configuration for MAXPERIP (maximum number
34 of connections to accept from the same IP address) was set to 4. (I
35 assume it's the default, since I never changed it myself.) Changing the
36 value to 10 eliminated the Thunderbird problem entirely. I don't know
37 if some other value between 4 and 10 would work as well. I'm happy with
38 it as it is now.
39 --
40 Jim