From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Thunderbird and IMAP folders
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 20:42:38
1 On 9/2/2010 12:43 PM, Jim Cunning wrote:
2 > On 09/01/2010 10:44 AM, Andrea Conti wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I routinely use thunderbird to access mail on a cyrus IMAP server with
6 >> very large folders (thousands of archived messages).
7 >>
8 >> IMAP support in the 3.1 series seems quite stable to me (whereas 2.x had
9 >> frequent problems with folder indexes and 3.0.x tended to hang randomly
10 >> while performing server operations)
11 >>
12 >> The only problem I can think of is that if you have used the default
13 >> settings for the message search feature, thunderbird will attempt to
14 >> build a full-text search index by downloading every message on the
15 >> server (body included) when it is first run. Thunderbird will try
16 >> downloading messages from multiple folders in parallel, which might
17 >> cause a hign load on the server resulting in substantial delays when
18 >> listing folder contents.
19 >>
20 >> If thunderbird is indexing messages (look at the progress indicator on
21 >> the status bar), try leaving it alone until it is done -- it's a
22 >> one-time process.
23 >>
24 >> If, on the other hand, everything is idle, I'm sorry but I have no idea.
25 >>
26 >> HTH,
27 >>
28 >> andrea
29 > The problem turned out not to be with Thunderbird at all, but with the
30 > courier-imap configuration. I found in /var/log/messages some instances
31 > of this:
32 > imapd-ssl: Maximum connection limit reached for ::ffff:10.0.0.1
33 >
34 > It appears that the default configuration for MAXPERIP (maximum number
35 > of connections to accept from the same IP address) was set to 4. (I
36 > assume it's the default, since I never changed it myself.) Changing the
37 > value to 10 eliminated the Thunderbird problem entirely. I don't know if
38 > some other value between 4 and 10 would work as well. I'm happy with it
39 > as it is now.
40
41 I'd recommend 10 connections per concurrent account that connects to
42 the server from the same IP. If you're running multiple accounts, like
43 kashani-list@ and kashani@ in my case, you'll want at least 20. Same
44 thing applies if you're running webmail for multiple account because all
45 account access will originate from localhost.
46
47 kashani